Full Stack Engineer
- Software Development
Visible is a profitable, established startup with a close-knit, internationally-distributed team. If you want to work on a project that impacts founders at thousands of companies and gives them a better chance of success and you've come to the right place.
Our goal is to connect 5,000 founders to investors by 2025. We are ahead of schedule and need help!
We are looking for a full-stack, mid-to-senior-level engineer to join our small engineering team and help scale our product to support our next stage of growth. Here is what to expect:
Our stack includes a Ruby on Rails API, PostgreSQL, Redis and Ember.js (we’re running modern versions of all of these). We deploy to Heroku and use Docker for local development. We have many different challenges that range from implementing product features to DevOps-type work and performance optimization. Other notable tools & frameworks you will be working with: Tailwind CSS, AWS, Mobiledoc, a lot of 3rd party APIs.
We favor full-stack engineers who have a good understanding of the entire scope of an application, but you don’t need to know both Rails and Ember to apply (however, for this position some ruby background is preferred).
You will work closely with our engineering team, product designer, and CEO, helping guide product direction and execution. Some things you might find yourself working on in the first couple of months:
- Participate in a cycle where you are actively pitching, shaping, and building product features.
- Build new and improve existing integrations.
- Help evolve and maintain our public API.
Working at Visible
We empower our people. As long as it is aligned with the company vision, everyone has a lot of liberty in choosing what to work on. We have a combined approach, both data-driven and user-driven. We work hard to create a culture where people ask questions and challenge what is being worked on.
Given that we are distributed we end up working across multiple timezones and put an emphasis on being able to work asynchronously. (We have been doing this pre-Covid for the past six years so have a great handle on things)
- We document everything we do in Notion, Slack, and GitHub.
- We use Jell for daily stand-ups.
- We meet virtually as a team 3x per week. This typically includes an all-hands, product standup, and a fun wild card day (we often play codenames or jackbox.tv).
- Offsites throughout the year for fun and strategic planning (when we can travel again).
We have been running a "Shape Up"-like process for the past couple of years. It allows us to build a high-quality product, take time to cool down, and not have to worry about looking at roadmaps that will change in the next 6 weeks anyway.
We have a full-time product designer but everyone in the team is capable of producing shippable UIs and we really value a good sense of aesthetics.
We care more about quality than quantity. We spend time reducing our code and product debt. We pair whenever it is needed, we test our code, and we code review every line that goes in production. It is a great way to ensure quality and learn from each other.
Who you are
The following are all guide-rails. Don't feel like you need to neatly check each box. If you love the role we'd love to hear from you.
- You have at least 2 years of production experience with Rails/Ruby and/or Ember
- You are comfortable working with multiple levels of the stack (JS, backend, database)
- You want to be part of a small, growth-minded startup team
- You care about writing clear, well-tested, maintainable code
Bonus points for
- Extensive experience working with 3rd-party APIs, designing RESTfull APIs
- Previous experience building a startup product for scale
- Previous experience or interest in DevOps
- Paid Competitively. You'll also participate in the company-wide profit share. Our business is sound. We are profitable and control our own destiny. We're not reliant on outside capital or forces.
- Benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, etc) for employees in US, if you are outside of the US, we'll find a time to find something comparable.
- Unlimited paid time off. Take time when you need it.
- Ownership (both in the work you do and equity in the company)
- A stipend for your home office, technology setup, co-working membership, etc.
- 2 paid off-sites per year (Barcelona, Amsterdam, Lisbon and Dublin were the last four)
The Interview Process
We'll review your application. So long as you are thoughtful in your application, we aim to get back to you within one week.
- Part I: Phone Screen with a team member. We'd love to hear about your development experience but more importantly answer any questions that you have. If you move along...
- Part II: Interview deep dives.
- Eugene (one of our full stack engineers)
- Ana (our Product Designer)
- Mikhail (our lead engineer)
- Mike (our CEO)
- If you move on...
- Part III: A final project that will be related to your work. It will take less than a day to compete and we will pay you for your work.
Our Mission, Vision & Values
You can find our high level mission, vision and values here. Give it a look! We'd love to go deeper and share more with you.
- Workday must overlap by at least 4 hours with Chicago, IL, USA