Rarebase is a public benefit corporation pioneering a new approach to biotech - partnering with patient organizations to build their therapeutics engine. We're a passionate team focused on pushing the boundaries of translational science to help families and patient communities identify and develop new therapeutics with the highest probability of success. Our north star is to successfully treat one kid.
We’re backed by Blueyard, pharma and biotech angels, families personally affected by rare disease, and other people that truly care about our mission and re-inventing the way rare disease therapies are developed. Our advisors are leaders in the biotech and rare disease community. Although we’re just getting started, we have the resources we need to be bold and take risks while continuously building for the long term.
Rarebase is growing, and you'll be the first full-time scientist on the team. We're looking
for an experienced pre-clinical researcher who is excited to own the development of new and ongoing therapeutic projects. You'll work closely with a diverse team including patient foundations, scientists, project and product managers, as well as academic collaborators, biotech companies, collaborators, and consultants.
You'll be responsible for conducting an initial landscape and determining the feasibility of supporting each new disease we may focus on. You will design and articulate a compelling therapeutic vision across a wide range of diseases and share your roadmap directly with the foundations representing this disease. In this highly visible role, you will learn the needs and perspectives of biotech companies and academic researchers, as well as patient organizations who have dedicated their lives to finding treatments for their patient community.
In keeping with the urgency and determination of the patient organizations we aim to serve, you will identify ways to improve the speed and accuracy with which we deliver these therapeutic plans. Your work will serve as a core component to all that we do and for which we base many downstream operations and product decisions on.
What you'll do
- Build relationships with patient organization leaders
- Lead science focused meetings with foundation teams and their network of science advisors
- Create and evaluate research plans and therapeutic roadmaps
- Perform literature reviews across a variety of diseases
- Create inventories of past science and assets in a disorder
- Collaborate with various subject matter experts in different therapeutic modalities and across different diseases
- Creatively explore all therapeutic modalities and feasibility with in a diverse setting
What you'll bring
- A track record of successfully running a variety of scientific projects in parallel.
- A strong scientific background (PhD required)
- 5+ years of experience in translational research (preferably multiple modalities)
- 5+ years of experience managing biotech companies, research foundations, pharma, and/or CROs
- 3+ years of experience working in rare disease
- Experience in clinical research is a plus
What we offer
- An opportunity to work closely with patients and patient research organizations on translational research
- Work with a passionate team on shaping the future of the life science field, using technology and new financing models
- Based in California, we are building this team remote-first – after the pandemic we will offer frequent team off-sites
- Premium health and dental insurance
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Generous vacation policy
- Must be a resident of United States